THE deadline for the annual Somerset Business Awards 2019 has been extended by two weeks in light of the additional pressures faced by the county’s businesses as a result of Brexit.
The awards are run by the Somerset Chamber of Commerce and Chief Executive Stephen Henagulph said local businesses were facing unprecedented pressures and the very real prospect of a no-deal Brexit on 31 October.
Mr Henagulph said: “I have listened to the concerns of our members and taken the decision to extend the deadline for entries to the Somerset Business Awards 2019 by two weeks, until 23 August.
“It’s not a decision I’ve taken lightly as I know many people have worked extremely hard to hit the original deadline. However, members and businesses are telling me that school holidays, Brexit preparations and a host of other pressures are taking their toll and they have asked me if we can extend the deadline.”
The Somerset Business Awards are now in their 15th year and are free for all Somerset businesses and charities to enter, not just Chamber members.
Somerset cricket all-rounder Peter Trego will host the glittering awards ceremony, which will take place at the Winter Gardens Pavilion, in Weston-super-Mare, on 25 October.
Judging will take place at the beginning of September and all finalists will feature in individual films which are shown on the awards night to around 400 guests. Winners receive a certificate and handmade trophy.
More information about the awards is available on the website at www.somersetbusinessawards.org.uk, or by emailing email@example.com or telephoning 01823 444924. Updates are also posted on the official awards Twitter account @SomBizAwards.
The 2019 award categories and sponsors are:
- Albert Goodman Family Business of the Year (Albert Goodman)
- Best Use of Technology (Porter Dodson)
- Small Business of the Year (TDA)
- Medium Business of the Year (BT)
- Large Business of the Year (PKF Francis Clark)
- Charity of the Year (Clarke Willmott)
- Employer of the Year (Elite Staffing Solutions)
- Investing in Somerset (Hinkley Point C)
- New Business of the Year Award (Teapot Creative)
- Outstanding Achievement (Weston College)
- Private and Public Collaboration (Wessex Reserve Forces & Cadets Association)
- Service Excellence (Brook Financial Management)
- Somerset Manufacturer and Producer Award (Bibby Financial)
- Young Business Employee of the Year (Clarks International)